Monday, August 20, 2012

Wangan Midnight Movie

Released in 2009 and at a time that I was kinda sorta interested in everything and finding my way through the Japanese Porsche world at the time I was eager to watch it.  But as it took a year for the DVD to come out and a lack of any good subs my interest in watching the movie soon faded away.  Then a couple days ago it sort of just popped up randomly in the sidebar of another video I was watching.  Thinking it was just a part of it I clicked on it to see what it was and sure as shit it was the full length SUBBED version of the movie right there staring me in the face begging to be watched.

I was at work and only had a few minutes before I had to set up breakfast so I watched a little bit of it to make sure that it was in fact subbed and that it would be interesting to watch.  Ended up watching a bit more than I should have but I was hooked.  Threw it up on Facebook right away so I wouldn't forget about it.  Finally got a chance to finish it and I have to say for a Japanese movie it was pretty good and while I'm not really a Wangan Midnight fan boy I don't know how true it is to the original source material other than it's a movie about two rivals who battle it out on the Wagan.  One driving a Midnight blue Fairlady Z (S30) and the other a Porsche 911 Turbo called the Blackbird.

The story goes a young high school lad gets beat by the Blackbird one night and heads off to buy some parts for his car to go faster only to see a busted up Midnight Blue Fairlady Z sitting on it's frame ready for the crusher. The boy falls in love with the car buys it and thus begins rebuilding the car to race on the Wangan.  But this particular cars comes with a name and rather nasty past.  It's called the Devil Z and it's killed people.  In this case the previous owner who shares the same name as the new owner.  The car also belonged to the best friend of the Blackbird owner.

The lad gets the car fixed races the Blackbird again and has a minor wreck.  Now rinse and repeat, add in the occasional good looking girl and assorted other racers and you got yourself a good movie.   Granted you do have to remember that this is a Japanese movie with a much smaller budget than any Hollywood blockbuster so there are some rather laughable action moments and the whole burning rubber without leaving any marks is lame and of course the speeding up of the film to mimic speed is really just annoying.  You can live with it if you're familiar with Japanese style of movies. And damn do I love that Porsche 911 Turbo. 

Now than how about I just leave you with this... The movie trailer.  I had thought about linking to the movie itself but it's not hard to find and I don't it to be taken down due to my linking to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...