Saturday, January 3, 2015

Project Jetta: Part 16

So it's been a while since the last Project Jetta report.  I've done two major repairs and have gotten a few things in line for some projects this winter perhaps.  Well the projects are sort of up in the air at the moment as other life events have happened as well.  There have been other minor fixes and what not here and there but with the major work done I thought it was high time I stopped ignoring my blog for a bit to update you on what I've been doing with the Jetta.

So the two big repairs that I did not so liong ago was the water pump replacement which happened to be a lot easier than I thought it would be followed up the worse problem that you could fix your self.  Oh that dreaded heater core how I loath you so.

First the water pump.  OK so I thought it was going to be a lot harder to fix as the bolt that attached the alternator to the frame was stripped out so I couldn't take the alternator off the engine block or that's what I thought.  Turns out it all comes out without having to take the alternator off that frame.

Once that was done it was a very easy straight forward replacement.  Wish I would have done it sooner but I was waiting for the former roommate to pay me some money so that it wouldn't take a huge chunk out of regular money.

Of course not fixing the water pump sooner also caused the heater core to leak more then it every had causing it to be needing a replacement.  FUCK!  That's what I get for procrastonating though it's my own fault and I got to pay for it alright.  Basically in any car the heater core has to be one of the most dificult repairs to do if you have not done a lot of them.  I had read that you didn't need to take out the entire dash or heater fan assembly to fix the heater core but half way through the repair it soon became very clear that I was indead going to be taking out the dash to finish fixing this mess that I created.

But in the end I got the old busted heater core out and the new one in.  A few more scars were earned and a good number of swear words were uttered.  But in the end... FUCK it doesn't work.  For the want of a fuse diagram that's correct.  Of course there is one right there on the knee board but I forgot about that.  I had to call up some help to figure out that the fuse was busted and that I was looking at the wrong fuse.   So a new fuse later and YES!  Everything was working once again.

Hopefully never again will I have to do that job.  Of course I now need to get the rest of the car put back together.  I need to get my glove box back in and my kneeboard back on.  I also need to fix the radio (replace or send the old one out for repairs) and antenae along with re attaching some lights that for some reason no longer work.  (HAVAC controls and gear light).

Also need new floor mats as the old ones are way old and destroyed and with the winter season here I don't see it getting any better.  Oh I also found the control box for the no longer working remote start. That needs to be removed along with all that extra wiring mess that is in the car now.  Need to zip tie some of those extra wires up and out of the way.

Need to replace both windshield washer nozels and hoses as well as replace the stalk as now I blow the fuse if I try anything other than the intermenton setting.  Awesome.  And this is only the stuff that really needs to be replaced.  I need to order up some bushings for the new shocks and struts that I have just sitting there waiting for the time to replace them.

So yeah that's what has been going on with the Jetta since Part 15 plus some fluid changes and sticker addtions and subtractions oh yeah and new tires too.  So until next time, hopefuly it wont be so long in reporting.

Some extra images.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...